Ashley Ellensohn

Monday, November 14, 2011

What does the Hixson award mean to me?

             It is hard to describe what the Hixson award means to me. It is an award that has broadened my horizons. It has allowed me to study at the university I have wanted to study at my whole life. It has given me opportunities to meet new people and to make new friends. It is crazy to think of how many people I never would have known if I had not been part of this program.
            It has also helped me adjust to college life. When I first came to Iowa State I did not know many people, nor did I know the school that well. The people in the Hixson program assisted me by answering all of my questions, no matter how silly. They were very welcoming and helped me to make Iowa State more like home.
            The most important thing that the Hixson award has done is helped me to grow as a person. It has challenged me to make goals for myself and to achieve them. It has shown me how to organize my life better and how to handle everything. It has opened my eyes to new experiences offered to me, such as student exchange and traveling abroad. It has also shown me how important it is to give to others. If the Hixson award had not been given to me, I’m not sure what my college experience would have been like. I feel like the whole Hixson Program has been very prevalent in my first semester of college.  It has helped me along so much. I now understand why there are so many people who are so devoted and passionate about this program.

2 comments:

  1. I agree, the Hixson program has helped a lot with making friends and is very helpful with adjusting into the first semester. It is a great award!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree as well, the Hixson program has helped to make new friends and open up to the collge life. The program has also made me grow as a person and think about goals, jobs, and the future.

    ReplyDelete